Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Check's in the Mail - 5/29/06 Newsweek article

I don't normally read Newsweek but picked up this issue to read their take on Mary Magdalene (go, Mary, go!) It was an ok article with lots of good pictures but the article that really hit home was how the insurance companies are screwing homeowners in La. and Miss. and not paying claims (or paying very little). Perhaps we need socialized property insurance as well as health insurance. I mean, when it gets to the point that everybody knows how corrupt and dishonest insurance companies can be why can't some alternative be found? (anybody watched or read The Rainmaker lately?) I'm not sure I've met anyone who isn't at least a wee bit pessimistic about their insurance company (if they can afford insurance). It's almost a given that you will pay for insurance and the insurance company will deny or reduce your claim payment as much as possible. So, insurance companies don't cover flood damage. And now (so I've heard) they won't be covering hurricane damage. Is there a tornado exclusion? Earthquakes must not be covered, right? What IS covered? I've heard the old "acts of God" aren't covered. What else are there, may I ask?

In digging around on the net to find a link to the article I ran across what looks to be an interesting site with links to many magazine articles, Slate. Par for the couse that I find sites and links to sites I've never encountered when researching. This might be an endangered pastime if network neutrality isn't protected.

No comments: