Thursday, May 11, 2006

Anybody like contra dancing? (or what to do with yourself when not reading, buying or selling books)

Ok, joyce, you're right. Nothing like a guilt trip to make one post to one's own blog!

I should be outside instead of hunkered down over a keyboard. It's glorious today here in north Louisiana. There is scant humidity, the sky is New Mexico or Montana blue and it's warm and breezy. I really hate that not too far away from here some folks in Texas and Oklahoma really got hammered with tornados but every time a storm passes this way I get down on my knees and pray to God/dess that the bad weather goes around Louisiana, specifically around my little neck of the woods. There's just been too darn much excitement around here in that department.

Back on track...one thing I wish there was more of (any for that matter) in this area is contra dancing. I got introduced to it in Juneau, AK and once I realized they weren't having Contra fundraisers (what an idiot) I found an incredibly wonderful pastime. Great exercise, fun and love that live music! If you get the chance to try it you just might find you agree with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have been contra dancing for about 10 years. My first experience was in Milford, NH (where I currently live). As I travel for my book business, I have managed to find contra dances in other parts of the country, although not always easy. Did manage one in Atlanta a few years back. Found a "Cajun" dance festival in St. Peteresburg, FL that is held the same weekend every year as the books show. Know there is a dance in NYC but have not caught that one. And New England and New York are loaded with dances. I could probably dance almost everynight of the week in my area (travelling no more than 1.5 hours in any one direction). There is one bookseller nearby that I have seen only a few times at dances. She tells me she's been dancing more than 25 years.
If your traveling I have found the net (google) a big help. Also the website dancegypsy.com always has a braod listing of dances.
It doesn't hurt to explore new areas and new dance styles. When out west (Denver) I have done a bit of "western country dancing". When not selling books I can often be found on a dance floor. Have even bought a scarce dance book at a dance festival, not knowing I was out working that night. Just never know where good books will show up.
Always looking for a dance partner, if anyone is in my neighborhood or at a bookshow with me, just ask...
Richard Mori
Mori Books
Amherst, NH